January 7, 2009

Forgotten Shrimp


This is a killer pattern - I found it a long time ago. I think it was on the Internet but have long forgotten its origin. I included it in an article I wrote for Saltwater Flyfishing Magazine - I didn't have a name for it and ended up calling it the Forgotten Shrimp. One day I hope I find its originator and can give them credit.
I tie it fairly small in sizes from 2 to 6. The basic pattern is:
Tail - chartreuse bucktail and crystal flash
Head - chartreuse ultrachenille
Eyes - Red glass beads on heavy monofilament with melted ends to hold the beads on
Body - chartreuse estaz
Back - Green fish skin with silver flakes
Rib - monfilament tied over body
I like to fish this fly on a fast sink tip line often as a trailer to a heavier weighted fly. It has been productive in a variety of areas. It is my favorite fly for fishing the mouths of Pacific side esteros on outgoing tides. In places like Estero Coyote near Abreojos the outgoing tide races through the narrow mouth and creates a river-like environment. I often high-stick this fly much like I would fish a beadhead nymph on the Deschutes River.

No comments:

Post a Comment