October 28, 2008

Reminder - Send your letter to Senator Coppola

I just wanted to remind all you readers out there that there is an important opportunity right now to help defeat the Shark Norma. Head to the Sea Watch Webpage and send a letter today. There are several templates you can personalize or you can write your own. Below is what I just sent:


Distinguished Senator Coppola,

I am writing to express my concerns regarding the Shark Norma (NOM029-PESCA-2006). I am a Conservation Scientist and sport angler who has been visiting your magnificent state for over 20 years. I am the host of a Baja California Flyfishing Blog (http://bajaflyfishing.blogspot.com/) and have written several feature articles on flyfishing in the Loreto area for several widely read magazines including Flyfisherman (http://flyfisherman.com/mca/rnloretosotherseason/).

Unfortunately, during my two decades of visiting Baja California Sur I have witnessed a dramatic decline in reef dwelling and near shore fish species. The continued decline of these species has resulted in a major loss to the sport fishing industry of the region. Given the declines in the inshore and reef fisheries, protection off shore species including dorado and marlin is critical to the survival of the jobs and income that sport fishing brings to the region. The commercialization and exploitation of dorado and marlin under the Shark Norma and the 30% bycatch agreement will devastate the communities including Loreto that depend on sportfishing.

Rather than allow liquidation of the last fish stocks in the Sea of Cortez, I hope that the Shark Norma will be eliminated and that protections for reserved sport fish species will be restored including the 50 km limit for large commercial ships. I am a strong supporter of catch-and-release sportfishing as an alternative to destructive fisheries practices and am saddened to see the continued decline of the Sea of Cortez.

Sincerely,
Richard Nauman

No comments:

Post a Comment