September 12, 2008

Minerva Smith and the Shark Norma

I first ran across Minerva's shop about a number of years ago after breaking my only saltwater flyrod on my first day of a baja trip. I'll save the story for another day but the short version is that I got tossed in the beach break at La Playita just east of San Jose Del Cabo. It was basically impossible to find fly gear in Baja back then. The next day we were headed to La Paz. Someone, I don't remember who, suggested Minerva's shop in Cabo San Lucas. So we took the western route to La Paz and stopped in. To my relief leaning in the corner with a more than fair price was a G-Loomis 10-weight. I still have that rod and fish with it regularly.

But.... the reason I was rambling about Minerva was that I wanted to post a link to this Baja Road Trekker column and her fight against the Shark Norma.

No comments:

Post a Comment