August 30, 2008

Captain Eulogio Davis

One of my goals with this blog is to promote guides who are willing to release fish. Captain Eulogio Davis in Loreto is a fun, easy going guy, who really knows how to catch fish. I was happy to see the following review of his services on the Baja Nomad Forums today:

"...my wife had NEVER been fishing before and requested a patient captain.

...I was not really expecting a whole lot in the way of catching fish as the moon had been full the night prior. We headed out on Eulogio's panga. After making bait we drove to the fishing grounds. He explained to us what we were going to be doing.

After an hour or so, we caught our first fish, a smallish dolphinfish. I did not want to retain any fish and requested that the captain release it if he did not want it. No problem. He let it go. During the next two hours or so we continually hooking into, landed and released dolphinfish. We ended up keeping two that had been gut-hooked. After catching around (and releasing) another 3 fish I was pretty happy with the venture. My wife had caught and released a similar number. But Eulogio kept looking and did not seem at all to be in a hurry to get back into port. I had explained to him that I was more of a species fisher than one interested in size or prestige. He looked for billfish and other species but was unable to get any to bite. But he tried. Patiently.

Finally at around 1 pm I told him that I was happy and wanted to head back. He told me he did not mind staying out. When I assured him we had had our fill of fishing and were quiet happy, he drove to port. It was very obvious to me that this man loved his job, enjoyed helping clients and was out to give his clients a quality, fun-filled experience. I was impressed with his demeanor and willingness to honor what I wanted to do. I have had significant problems in the past with captains that practically refuse to release anything but he was not at all like that.

... As a person who has fished all over the world, I was very impressed... I plan to return to Loreto next year."
Note that dolphin fish is the english name for Dorado.

You can find out more about Eulogio on the Baja Big Fish Company's Web Page.

If you would like to recommend a conservation oriented captain who is willing to release fish send me an email at bajaflyfishers@yahoo.com or leave a comment here on the blog and I'll add him to my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment