September 17, 2009

Hooked Up?

In addition to the dangers of line burns (see this post from last February) and Tequila overdoses, Baja flyfishing has other risks.

Casting big, weighted flies from the bow of a small boat in the never cooperative wind has its dangers. I have only been hooked by smaller trout flies but have been smacked in the face by big saltwater patterns. I think it's just a matter of time before tragedy strikes.

I always wear eye protection, including clear polarized lenses for low light situations, and try to remember to pinch down the barbs on my flies. Fortunately, even in the smaller communities there is at least one medical person who has PLENTY of experience removing hooks.

I found this article on the web that summarizes the basics of hook removal quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment