August 26, 2009

Theft at the Oasis in Loreto

Hey Folks,
Remember to be careful while you are out having fun. I normally would not post this but I have heard of similar incidents at the Oasis Hotel in the past. Times are hard right now for people in tourist dependent communities like Loreto so take a little extra care with your valuables. The following message is from Russ S. and was originally posted on Dan Blanton's forums:

I've been hesitant to post this because I don't want to be a downer and frankly I consider it an absolute anomaly, but I wouldn't feel right if I said nothing and it happened to someone else.

When we got back to our room Thursday from fishing I couldn't find my everyday sunglasses. I leave them in my Arizona Cards hat next to the TV. I went to lunch, asked around and nobody had found them. Got back to the room, took a 2 hour siesta and then woke up to do more looking.

When I opened the top drawer below where my hat was I discovered my envelope hidden under my clothes had been cleaned out, $250 in cash. I discovered later they also took my cellphone.

Everyone agrees this is the first such incident they can remember and I am feeling more embarrassed than anything, my passport was there too so I'm lucky they didn't take that. the room was locked when we left but when they clean the rooms they often open several at a time so we assume someone ran in and grabbed my stuff because it was so close together. Eric and GES didn't have anything taken.

I filed a police report in town the next day but don't expect much from that. They banned the kids from the beach the next day for caution. I have no idea who did it but if it was one of the kids I'm hoping the others will speak up since if they don't, they're all out of a job.

The nice lady at the front desk told us it takes her 20 days of work to earn that much money so you can see why in a bad economy someone might do that. I split my money up so I only lost half and I feel pretty stupid for leaving it like that but I've never had such an issue at the Oasis and I'm pretty sure it was an anomaly.

But I just wanted to let others know for future trips.

So remember to take a few extra precautions and enjoy your trip. Its easy to let your guard down when vacationing in a relaxed place like Loreto.

No comments:

Post a Comment