July 14, 2008

Rose Snapper

Its a little hard to see in this photo but the rose snapper is distinguished by a dark patch below it's dorsal fin, above the leading edge of its pelvic fins.

I caught a bunch of these tasty snappers on flies off the point at San Bruno, north of Loreto. They all took a gray/white clouser minnow in my standard 1/0 size.

It was fairly windy day. To fish the reef, we would motor upwind and wind drift past the point fishing along the way. I used a high stick technique similar to fishing nymphs in a river except the boat was moving rather than the water. By casting down wind of the boat I was able to sink my fly deeply and maintain contact with my fly as we drifted over the reef. Under this type of fishing situation, casting into the wind results in a shallow presentation as the fly gets pulled along by the fast drifting boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment